Newspaper clippings on the Laurel House and the Schutt family
Hudson NY Evening Register July 23, 1875
Special Correspondence of the Register
Where to stay - Our conveyance - Disappointed at our ride - Glenwood, the Half Way House, the Rip Van Winkle House, the Mountain House - Arrival at the Laurel House - Our Reception - The Kauterskill Falls - The Scenery, etc.
Nyack, July 23, 1875
Having a short vacation, and desiring a relief
from the cares of business, I concluded after
due deliberation to make a trip to tbe Catskill
Mountains. This being our first visit we were
somewhat at a loss to make up our mind what
particular locality to choose as our resting
place, and being besieged on all sides by runners
and agents innumerable upon arriving at
Catskill, our ideas became confused for a time,
but we came to our senses and concluded to
take tbe advice of tbe gentlemanly agent of
tbe Laurel House, and visited that particular
We passed through the bustling throng of
carriages of all kinds from an old style post
coach to a rickety lumber wagon, and were on
our way. Our conveyance was a splendid
Concord coach drawn by four rattling steeds,
driven by one "Tom," as we were informed,
who knew his business as we soon found out,
and was courteous and agreeable to all under
After leaving Catskill Point we arrived at
Catskill village, a cozy business place situated
on Catskill creek proper, where a halt was
made for a few minutes to receive the mails
and small packages for the visitors sojourning
on the mountains (and it seemed to be the
peculiar trait of the Laurel House proprietor
to accommodate all in his vicinity, whether
his guests or not.) We made a final start, but
were somewhat disheartened at first on being
informed that our ride would occupy four
hours of valuable time which we imagined
would be tedious and tiresome, but upon realization
of the fact we were very much disappointed,
and happily at that, and would have
been better pleased had the ride occupied six
hours instead of four, as our time was constantly
occupied with new scenes from the
time of our departure until we arrived at the
After leaving the village of Catskill, which
is situated on a bluff above the noble Hudson,
and which contains many first class hotels,
restaurants and private residences, we passed
over a splendid road built years ago, ascending
a ridge of land and lime rock which extends
from Hoboken, New Jersey, to the St.
Lawrence river, (as we are informed) falling
back from the Hudson at places on its line
north, and forming numbers of ridges with
valleys equal in number clothed with verdure
equal in appearance to any to be found, interspersed
with numberless fine farm houses,
with all necessary out buildings, the farms
appearing to be under a good state of cultivation
and the owners and occupants seeming to
be joyous and happy. After a five mile ride
we arrived at Glenwood, where a halt was
made for rest, water, &c. A mile further on
we halted at the place familiarly known as
the Half Way House, where more refreshments
for man and beast were obtained.
We then proceeded on pur journey to
the foot of the venerable Catskills, said
at this point to be 1,000 feet above the tide
waters of the Hudson.' Proceeding from thence
we commenced the ascent of the mountain,
which coupled with the invigorating air and
the beauties of the scenery on either side and
the valley below we forgot time. Arriving at
the Rip Van Winkle House another halt was made, and upon enquiry we found we stood upon the identical spot where the venerable "Rip" was wrapped in slumber for twenty years. We viewed the spot and enjoyed the
scene which we had often witnessed in drama presented to millions, by the artist, "Joe Jefferson." After a short halt we proceeded on, arriving at the summit where stands the Mountain House, we took a look at the valley
beneath which is about 3,000 feet below.
Proceeding on, we soon arrived at the popular
resort — the Laurel House — kept by mine host
J. L. Schutt, and were received with kindness
by the proprietor, the numerous guests of
the house seeming to join in the welcome of
Once within we were shown to a well furnished
room where we were to make our
headquarters during our brief sojourn, and
after making a hasty toilet we were ushered
into the spacious dining hall where a bounteous
supper was provided with all that heart could
wish and to which we did ample justice, as
the air had sharpened our appetite to an unusual
After satisfying our inward cravings, we
proceeded to view the outside world by moonlight,
and were well pleased and retired to our
room, our rest only being disturbed by pleasant
dreams of the future. In the morning we
arose refreshed, and after our usual walk partook
of a hearty breakfast, feeling invigorated
in body and mind, and proceeded to
take a survey of the place.
Now, Mr. Editor, we are no professional
tourist, for if we were we would give you a
description of the place, but suffice it to say,
we have taken our meals and rest regularly
since, and lost no Interest in the place; neither
have we been misled by the proprietor or those
in his employ. We cheerfully recommend the
place to all tourists as being a quiet home
with all the comfort of cool air, walks and
The Kauterskill Falls are nature's wonder —
the Infinite and finite are combined, holding
the spectator with awe and reverence as he
viows the scene. No lovelier spot can be
found, as we believe, on this continent. Gentle
reader, if you think we are biased, we
advise you to take a trip and satisfy yourself.
The proprietor will be found affable; and
for quiet, secluded walks, for the comforts of
home, for good substantial board and genuine
human treatment we venture the opinion that
it cannot be surpassed on the American
The beautiful Kauterskill Falls are still
unwritten. The first fall being 100 feet, the
second, only a short distance below, being 80
feet, the fall being sharp and descending for
some distance below, while the bluffs on either
aide rising to the clouds to appearances. We
would give the reader a general account of
Sunset Rock, Prospect Rock, also of the general
beauties of the scenery, fishing, &c. Suffice
it it to say, we enjoyed ourselves, and as life
is short, we advise, others to satisfy themselves,
by obeying the scriptural injunction of 'Go
then and do likewise.'
Kingston Daily Freeman Aug 20, 1884
THE FAMOUS LAUREL HOUSE
One of the most Picturesque Localities in the Catskills
A Freeman reporter took a run up to the Laurel
House Monday. He started on the noon train at
the Junction, and reaching the Laurel House after
a pleasant ride about 2:28.- This was done notwithstanding the fact that owing to the West Shore
train being behind time, the train on the Ulster& Delaware Railroad did not leave the Junction
until nearly half an hour behind time. That this
half hour was almost entirely made up on the run
on the Ulster & Delaware and Stony Clove and
Kaaterskill roads, shows how like clock work
everything is run. The return trip on the train
which leaves the Laurel House station at 4:51,
after a two hours sojourn at the Laurel House, was
a delightful one. If the reporter had wished he
could have driven from the Laurel
House, to the Hotel Kaaterskilll and
had a good look at both places, with
ample time to return on the same train. The
train reached the Junction, about 6:50, the schedule
time. A very fine trip, therefore, can be taken
by a person to these mountain resorts during an
afternoon, and much can be seen at slight expense
The great expense attached to mountain trips by
home people are hotel bills. By running up and
back the same afternoon nothing is expended except
railroad fare, and when excursion tickets are
bought this is comparatively light, counting the
many miles traveled. Unlike traveling on other
railroads, the ride on these roads is very pleasant.
It is an enjoyment from the beginning to the end
of the route. The trains run so fast that it is one
succession of beautiful views. The few stops made
only add to the variety, as the depots are crowded
with ladios dressed in a charming variety of costume,
and whose demonstrations of delight at
greeting some friend, or whose sorrow at bidding
some one good-bye, are often of a sufficiently
stagey order to be interesting. Business men in
this city can take trips to those places in the mountains, without interfering very much with the work
of the day.
The Laurel House is situated in a delightfully
cosy retreat. It is but a step from the Laurel
House station. It is well equipped in every respect.
It can accommodate 250 people, and has at
present about 216 guests. Mr.J. L. Schutt, the proprietor, might indeed be called the pioneer of
mountain house men in this region. He can show
registers, containing names of many eminent people,
as far back as m 1827. Mr. Schutt's father located
at this place in 1825. He did not keop a register
until he had been there two years, and to leaf
over some of the registers of names of the boarders
of olden times is interesting. Among these names
can be found that of the graceful writer, Washington
Irving. Now the later register contains the
names of President Arthur and General Sharpe.
President Arthur was so delighted with this place,
that he paid two visits to it while stopping at the
Kaaterskill House. The house at present is different
from what it was in the old days. It was
then a small boarding house (that is it would now be
considered very small) though at that time it was
thought to be of goodly size. The present house
is built in the modern style of mountain houses,
the roof of the deck running all around on the
three sides, the roof of the piazza being on a level
with the dormer windows of the roof of the building
itself. The building is three stories in heighth,
with a mansard or French roof on the top. There
is a large observatory in the center, from the top
of which an American flag waves.
Just in the rear of the house is the head of the
famous Kaaterskill Falls. A person can walk
through the little building where the photographs
are sold, out upon the platform and look straight
down the falls, the water running over a sheer
precipice several hundred feet in height. The water
falls at the foot of the ravine, and then swiftly
rushes away over the rocky boulders down the
Kaaterskill Clove toward Palenville. To reach the
bottom of these falls are a number of staircases.
There are 300 steps. Here and there are landing
places where the tired individual coming up can
rest before finishing his climb. The falls is a beautiful
sight the present season, as a large quantity
of water is flowing over it. Cut in the rocks at
one place is an inscription regarding the suicide of
a dog, which leaped from the platform down into
Looking over an old history of the State of New
York published about 1822, the following description
of these falls aro given: After stating that the
stream flows from two lakes each about a mile and
a half in circumference it says: "After a west
course of a mile and a half, the waters fall perpendicularly 175 feet, and pausing momentarily
upon the ledge of a rock, precipitate themselves
85 feet, more, making the whole descent of the
cataract 260 feet. Below this point the current is
lost in the dark ravine or clove through which it
seeks the valley of the Catskill. The water fall
with all its boldness, forms however but one of
the interesting features of the scene. From the
edge of the first falls is beheld a dreary chasm
whose steep sides covered with dark ivy and
thick summer foliage, seem like a green bed prepared
for the waters. Making a circuit from this
spot and descending about midway of the first fall,
the spectator enters an immense natural amphitheatre
behind the cascade, roofed by a magnificent
coiling of rock, having in front the falling
torrent, and behind it the wild mountain dell over
which the clear blue sky is visible".
The novelist Cooper probably gave the most
beautiful description of this Falls, putting it in the
mouth of Leather Stocking. Said Leather Stocking: "But the hand that made that leap never made a mill! There the water comes crooking and winding among the rocks, first so slow that a trout could swim in it, and then starting and running just like any creature that wanted to make a far spring, till it gets to where, the mountain divides like the cleft hoof of a deer, leaving a deep hollow for the brook to tumble into. The first pitch is
nigh 200 foot, and the water looks like flakes of
driven snow afore it touches the bottom; and there
the stream gathers itself together again for a new
start, and may be flutters over 50 feet of flat rock
before it falls for another hundred, when it Jumps
about from shelf to shelf, first turning this-a-way
and then turning that-a-way, striving to get out of
the hollow, till it finally comes to the plain."
Mr. Schutt Is a venerable man, with a long white
beard. He is courteous and agreeable to his
guests, and a perfect representative of the old time
hospitable, generous-hearted whole-souled
landlord. Thousands of people visit his house,
and the falls during the summer. It is one of the
curiosities of the mountains. While the Freeman
reporter was there, which was about two hours, at
least a dozen large mountain stages filled with
people, besides many private carriges drove up
to the door. The Laurel House is only a little over
a mile from the Hotel Kaaterskill, and one and a
half miles from the old Catskill Mountain House
with good mountain roads to each.
The State Stenographer's Association opened its
session at the Laurel House on Tuesday, to continue
Tuesday and Wednesday. It was expected
a large number of stenographers would be present.
It is feared their regular business meeting will be
remarkably short. When these stenographers got
through climbing down and up the 300 steps of the
Kaaterskill Falls and the steep pitch of the Haines
Falls, they will need two baggage men and a stretcher to each stenographer to get them outof the woods.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle May 26, 1887 (AD)
Laurel House -CATSKILL MOUNTAINS.
LAUREL HOUSE, KAATERSKILL FALLS. ,
A first class FAMILY HOTEL, having all modern improvements and conveniences. Send for circular.
J. L. SCHUTT, Proprietor, Catskill, N.Y
Brooklyn NY Daily Eagle 1888 (AD)
THE LAUREL HOUSE -
CATSKILL MOUNTAINS, N. Y.
At the head of KAATERSKILL FALLS.
This hotel will be kept OPEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 1.
Special attention to cuisine and warming the house
during September and October. Best drainage in the
mountains. Rates from $10 to $20 per week after September
1. Direct railroad access from Roundout to the
Laurel House Station, or from Catskill to Mountain
House Station, where stages meet all trains.
J. L. SCHUTT, Proprietor,
HAINES FALLS POST OFFICE.
Greene County, N.Y
Hudson NY Evening Register Dec. 3, 1889
Landlord of the Laurel House.
Of the late Jacob Louis Schutt, proprietor
of the well known Laurel House, the Catskill Examiner says:
For many years Mr. Schutt has been widely
known as a hotel whose genial nature and
kind heart made friends of his guests. When
a young man he was fond of hunting and
spent much of his time in tthe winter with
dogs and gun in the forests of the Catskills,
hunting foxes, and it was the reckless exposure
during many years of such life that
brought on the rheumatism with which he
was so long and severely afflicted. The
palmy days of the Laurel House were tbe
years before the war, back ia the fifties, when
the old House with big, open fireplace in the
office and the large Franklin in the parlor
drew a select crowd of visitors in the fall of
the year. Then some of the most noted of
the New York artists used to gather about
the fire at night and listened to the stories
Mr. Schutt would relate of his adventures in
the woods. Year after year in October, Sanford
R. Gifford of Hudson, Jervis McEntee,
W. W. Whittredge and others of less note
made the Laurel House their headquarters,
and this was kept up until the new house was
built and the cosy character of the place had
Since then the great hotel has steadily
grown in popularity with summer guests,
and for many years past Mr. Schutt and his
charming wife, by their courteous and winning
manners, continued to add largely to
their circle of friends. The death of Mrs.
Schutt was a heavy blow to her affectionate
husband, but it was borne with heroic fortitude.
Mr. Schutt was an ideal landlord, one
of the old school, who made the comfort and
happiness of his guests a study. His generosity
and tenderness of heart was prominently
shown by his liberal aid to those in need, and
many recipients of his bounty will miss his
pleasant greeting and outstretched hand that
was never empty for those in need. His
faults were few, his virtues many, and the
memories that cluster around the Falls and
the old house will ever include as the central
figure that prince of landlords — J. Louis Schutt.
Hudson NY Evening Register March 26, 1890
The Laurel House,
The Laurel House, Catskill mountains,
has a name and fame abroad that makes
almost anything connected with it seem like
household affairs. The recent death of its
proprietor J. L. Schutt, caused the place to
change title, but it is with pleasure that we
state that L. P. Schutt has arranged to control
the property and conduct it as in the past.
No one who may visit the Catskills will
enjoy the scenery or mountain hospitality
unless they give Mr. Scutt and the Laurel
House and the Kaaterskill Falls a visit.
Kingston Weekly Freeman and Journal March 27, 1890
The Laurel House Sold.
Jacob Fromer, of Tannersville, has purchased the Laurel House and Kaaterskill Falls for $36,785.
Kingston Weekly Freeman and Journal, May 1, 1890
The arrangements made for leasing the Laurel House to Captain Mandeville, of New York, have fallen through with and the property has been leased J. R. Palmer, proprietor of the Palmer House at Lakewood, N.J., on the same conditions that Captain Mandeville negotiated for. The house will be conducted by Palmer & Collins.
The Stony Clove & Catskill Mountain Railroad is now in excellent shape having just been re-balasted and fitted up for summer travel. The road is an excellent one and the employes are civil and polite, always willing to assist the passengers in any way and never tiring in their attention to the wants of the
patrons of this well-equipped mountain railroad.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle June 14, 1892 (AD)
LAUREL HOUSE OPENS JUNE 15
Under management of J.R. Palmer of Palmer House,
SPECIAL RATES TO EARLY GUESTS
New York office, 26 Cedar St.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle June 27, 1899 (AD)
IN THE CATSKILL MOUNTAINS.
THE LAUREL HOUSE.
HAINES FALLS. N. Y. OPEN to October 31;
accommodates 300 guests; special weekly rates;
superior location, table and service. Circulars of
ANTON CHRISTIAN, Proprietor.
NEW YORK EVENING TELEGRAM AUGUST 11, 1900
CATSKILL'S WOODS ARE BURNING AND
BIG HOTELS MENACED
Hundreds Are Fighting to Save
the Lauel House and Kaaterskill
from Forest Fires.
TWO MEN VICTIMS,
ONE BURNED TO DEATH
Caught in Mountains, Their Retreat
Cut Off, One Perishes and Other May Die.
DESPERATE FIGHT FOR LIFE
Climbed Up Steep Cliff with Burning
Timber All About Them.
[SPECIAL DESPATCH TO THE EVENING TELEGRAPH.]
CATSKILL, N. Y. Saturday.— Menaced by a
fierce forest fire which has ranged about here
for two days, the management of the Laurel
House, on the mountains near here, have a
force of a hundred men stationed about the
hotel to-day ready to fight back the flames
should they draw closer.
The fire has approached within 300 yards of
the hotel, and some of the patrons have left,
but the management announced to-day that
the house and its patrons were safe enough,
as every precaution was being taken to keep
the flames from gaining any further foothold.
At the Hotel Kaaterskill the same precautions
are being taken. The fire has now
burned over a district of several hundred
The woods are intensely dry and the trees
burn like tinder. No one knows how the fire
started, but it spread rapidly, and farmers
and residents for miles around turned out to
Of these fire fighters one young man now
lies dead, his body burned to a crisp, and another
is suffering from terrible burns and is
delirious. It is feared the shock of his experience
has rendered him so.
A force of three hundred men from Tannersvllle
and Haines Falls had been fighting
the fire, and Frank Layman and Oscar Ford
were among them. They reached the bottom
on a steep ledge of rocks, near Kaaterskill
Falls, when they found themselves suddenly
cut off by the fire.
There was nothing left but to climb to the
top. That was the only way by which they
could hope to save their lives.
They started on an awful journey up the
jagged face of the cliff, their hands and feet
cut at almost every step by the sharp stones.
The flames were so close that the clothing of
the men was scorched, but they struggled
Ford at last reached the top utterly exhausted.
He crawled a few feet into a place
of safety and then fell in a dead faint.
Layman was only a few feet behind him.
The hair was singed from his head and his
clothing was on fire. He had Just reached
the edge of the shelf of rock that meant life
to him when he fell back into the flames
When the fire had passed that section of
the forest a searching party found Ford and
took him to Haines Falls where he lives.
Layman's charred body was found some
time afterward where he had fallen.
The fire has as yet touched no buildings,
and it Is believed that unless an adverse
wind springs up it will burn itself out in the
mountains, with no damage to the hotel property.
OSWEGO DAILY PALLADIUM AUGUST 13, 1900
Big Hotels Threatened.
CATSIILL, N. Y., Aug. 13.—Several
hundred men who yesterday and last
night fought forest fires which threatened
the big mountain hotels Kaaterskill
and Laurel House, eventually got them
under control and today tbe hotels
seemed to be out of danger. Frank Layman,
one of the fire fighters, perished
in the flames and Oscar Ford was frightfully burned.
New York Sun Aug 16, 1902 (AD)
Heart of the Catskill Mountains. Overlooking
the Famous Kaaterskill Falls. New Management
Accomodates 300. Music twice daily. Write for
booklet. Herbert L. Legg
Haines Falls, N.Y.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle May 28, 1905 (AD)
Kaaterskill Falls, Catskill Mountains.
Elevation 2500 feet - 3 hours from new York
OPEN JUNE 10, 1905 under new management.
Capacity 350 guests, this fine hotel is noted for
its magnificent scenic surroundings, pure air,
excellent table and service. Fishing, tennis, golf,
bowling, billiards, etc. Beautiful walks, and
drives, orchestra, German rathskeller.
Special rates for June. Send for illustrated
Booklet. WEISS & INGLESSI.
HAINES FALLS. GREENE CO. N.Y.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle July 27, 1910 (AD)
LAUREL HOUSE STATION.
Haines Falls P. O., Greene Co., N.Y.
Heart of the Catskllls, with famous Kaaterskill
Falls: boating, driving, tennis; rathskellar;
dally concerts; accommodates 300. Booklets
A. C. INGLESSI. Prop.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle Jun. 8, 1913
OPENING UP FAST
Hotels and Boarding Houses
Welcome First Arrivals
FINE OUTLOOK EVERYWHERE.
Brooklynites Scattered Throughout
Mountain Villages for
Haines Falls, N. Y., June 7— In 1823
Peter Schutt came to Haines Falls and
soon afterwards erected a log cabin
which, because of the picturesque scenery
surrounding it, became one of the
famous mountain resorts of the world.
In 1850 Mr. Schutt built the Laurel
House, which had a capacity of twenty-five
guests and which has since been enlarged so
that today the Laurel House,
the original house at Haines Falls, has
a capacity of over 200 guests.
In 1864 the late Charles W. Haines,
famous the world over, constructed the
Haines Falls House, which then had a
capacity of thirty guests. At this time
the Laurel House and the Haines Falls
House were the only resorts in this section,
and yet the fame of Haines Falls
had reached every place In the world
where the English language was spoken.
The beauty of the falls at the Laurel
House which, by the way, are the highest
waterfalls in New York State. and the
delightful scenery of the beautiful
Palenville Clove, made this section the haunt
of famous artists and writers.
The season here commences in May and
extends well into October unless it becomes
too cold for comfort, and Haines
Falls has never known a dull season.
This section is the home of summer
golf, which, at an elevation of over
2,200 feet, becomes the sport of kings in
reality, and as the links here are unusually
good, there is more interest in
golf at Haines Falls than at any place
in the Catskills.
New York Times Aug. 22, 1919 (AD)
LAUREL HOUSE Laurel House Station.
Haines Falls. N.Y.
Accommodate 300. 13th Season. Reasonable Rates.
Garage Write for booklet. A. INGLESSI
Brooklyn Daily Eagle June 13 1920
There have been a number of
changes in the management of hotels
and boarding houses, notably at the
famous Laurel House, where A. C.
Inglessi has been succeeded by E.
Stlllman; at the Vista, where Miss A.
Ely has been succeeded by E. B.
Haines, and at Fern Rock, where William
Miller is succeeded by Perk &
Brooklyn Daily Eagle July 29, 1921 (AD)
Laurel House Sation, Haines Falls. N. Y.
Newly, renovated. Baths; running water
in rooms. Garage. Excellent cuisine. New tennis
court. Bowling, baseball. Rathskeller.
Ballroom. Dancing every evening. Call at
Haines Falls. Booklet mailed.
E. STILLMAN, Prop.
Feb. 11, 1927
BORN IN THE BUSINESS.
Peter P. Schutt, a Greene county boy
who went to Florida In 1910 and successfully
conducted hotels at Tampa,
Fort Myers and Naples-on-the-Gulf,
has been made manager of the Florldan,
an eighteen-story hotel, one of the finest
in the entire South, opened this week in
Tiuntia. The Dally Times of that city
has this to say concerning him:
"Pete" Schutt was born in the hotel
business. He first saw light in the
Laurel House, Catskill Mountains, N.
Y., June 13, 1886. He is descended from
old Dutch stock, settlers who came to
the Hudson River valley before the
"His great-grandfather, Peter Schutt,
kept a celebrated inn at the famous
Kaatersklll Falls, in New York State.
This property was handed down to, and
enlarged by "Pete's" grandfather, J. L.
Schutt, who, until his death in 1889,
was a widely-known landlord and host in that section.
"L. P. Schutt, "Pete's" father, conducted
business many years until in 1898 he associated himself with the Flagler system of hotels in Florida.
L.P. Schutt has been in Florida ever since,
at present being manager of the Casa
Marina, at Key West.
"The three sons of L. P. Schutt received
their hotel training under H. E.
Bemis, present manager of the Royal
(Polneiann) at Palm Beach, beginning at
the bottom. George, "Pete's" older brother,
now is manager of the Long Key
Fishing Camp, one of the Flagler system
hotels at what is probably the most
famous fishing grounds in the world.
Frank, a younger brother, is manager
of what is said to be the South's finest
hotel, the Peabody, at Memphis, Tenn,
and "Pete" has been selected to manage
Tampa's largest, the Florldan.
"Pete" Schutt himself is an ardent
sportsman. While In Fort Myers he
collected an enviable assortment of shot
guns and rifles as well as fishing tackle,
both of which he is expert in handling.
He has won many medals and trophies
at traps, and boasts the distinction of
having taken the world's largest tarpon.
This tarpon stuffed is now on exhibition
at a Tampa sporting goods store."
Catskill Recorder June 5, 1931
BORN TO THEIR PROFESSION.
"A great and noble heritage, proudly
accepted and confidently carried down
through many generations, is not often
evidenced in these days of diversified
occupation. So many times the son
of a great father selects other fields,
and the achievements of a great man
die with his generation. But for one
family of hotelmen there is an eminent
exception and a reversion to the olden
times when sons followed their fathers,
attaining equal success and perpetuating
a family name in achievement in a
chosen and respected vocation. That
famlily name is Schutt - and of the present
generations, a father, mother and
three sons make the name synonmous
"L. P. Schutt, the father, is manager
of the famous Casa Marina Hotel at
Key West, Fla., a unit of the Florida
East Coast Hotel Company Group — the
Flagler System. The oldest son. George
Schutt, is manager of the Long Key
Fishing Camp at Long Key, Fla.,
another unit of the same system. Peter
Schutt. second son, is manager Of the
beautiful Hotel Charlotte Harbor at
Punta Gorda, Fla. and the youngest
son, Frank R. Schutt, is manager of the
Hotel Peabody in Memphis. Tenn."
This is the introduction to a laudatory article
in the May number of the Southern Hotel Journal, which includes concise biographies of the members of a
Greene county family of whom we in
the home territory are as proud as are
the numerous friends they have made
during their business careers in the
The Hotel Journal article recites that
about the year 1800 Peter Schutt built
the first hotel in the Catskill Mountains,
and as the resort business expanded he
established himself at the head of the
famous Kaaterskill Falls (in 1823,)
where he was succeeded by his son
J. Lewis Schutt, built the Laurel
House and conducted it successfully until
his death tn 1890. During this period
his son Louis literally served an apprenticeship
in the hotel business, which
he mastered so thoroughly that he laid
the foundation for an enduringly successful
career. All three of his sons
have followed in their father's footsteps,
under his tutelage, and that their
training was efficient is shown by their
attainments in their chosen walk in
life, where their future success in unquestionably
The article in the Hotel Journal is
illustrated by speaking pictures of Mr.
and Mrs. L. P. Schutt and their three
sons, and closes with this paragraph:
"There is something inspiring in the
records and accomplishments of the
Schutt family — something extraordinary
in the Way in which they have upheld
the heritage left by that remarkable
forefather, Peter Schutt. They are
born hotel-keepers, true friends to those
who know them, and real hosts in
every shading of the word."
Besides their three sons, Mr. and Mrs.
L. P. Schutt have a daughter (Lulu),
Mrs. R. L. Bow of Miami, Fla.
APRIL 3, 1936
Passenger service on the Stony Clove
branch of the Catskill Division of the
New York Central railroad will be discontinued
April 26th. Passengers for
Laurel House, Haines Falls, Tannersville
and Hunter will be carried from
Saugerties by busses operated by the
railroad. It is expected that this arrangement
will reduce the time of the
trip to any of these stations by about
Hudson Evening Register Nov. 16, 1943
NATIVE OF COUNTY
Mrs. Minnie Gardner Schutt. widow
of Louis P. Schutt, veteran Florida and
Catskill Mountains hotel man died
Saturday night, after an illness of
about two weeks. Mrs. Schutt, who had
for several years made her home at
the Saulpaugh Hotel, Catskill, was
stricken with a heart attack November
4, and suffered a stroke from which
she failed to regain consciousness at
the Memorial hospital, Catskill.
Born in Columbia county, in Oak
Hill (now Greendale) 82 years ago.
Mrs. Schutt passed her 82nd birthday
in April of this year.
Funeral services were held at 3 o'clock
this afternoon at the Haines
Falls Methodist church. Burial was in
the family plot in the Haines Falls
She married Louis P. Schutt, son of
the late Mr. and Mrs. Jacob L. Schutt,
proprietors of the Laurel House, at
Haines Falls, in May, 1881, and after
the death or Mr. Schutt. Sr. in 1889,
Louis P. Schutt took over the management
of the Laurel House. They
also managed Twilight Inn at Twilight
Park, Haines Falls.
Mr. and Mrs. Schutt's fame as hotel
hosts was not only in this locality, but
in Florida, where for many vears he
managed the Long Key Fishing camp
and the Casa Marina hotel, at Key
NY Evening Post June 7 1945 (AD)
The Land of Rip Van Winkle
HAINES FALLS, NEW YORK
Opening June 24th
Mgmt. Nat Bernstein
Brooklyn Daily Eagle Aug 30, 1953 (AD)
HAINES FALLS 8, N Y . Tel. Haines Falls 788
UNFORGETTABLE will be your
LABOR DAY WEEK-END • FALL VACATION OR HONEYMOON
HERE, ON PICTURESQUE KAATERSKILL FALLS
Continental French-Italian Cuisine • Luxurious Rooms with Bath
Informal Cocktail Lounge ' Dancing Nightly
Entertainment • All Sports
FREE GOLF • PRIVATE POOL & LAKE • NEAR CHURCHES
REASONABLE RATES. ASK FOR ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET.
MR. & MRS. L. CARELLA, PROP.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle Jun 27, 1954
Old Laurel House At Haines Falls Stages Comeback
The Laurel House at Haines Falls, one of Greene County's most famous resorts of 50 years ago, is staging a comeback this season under the ownership and management of Mrs. Virginia Cardinal and Mrs. Millie Carella.
The two women, who last year purchased the big hotel and hundreds of acres of surrounding property, report that their first season was very successful and that the prospects this year are even better.
The huge white structure is being thoroughly renovated at heavy expense and additional improvements are planned for next year.
Once a gathering place for the social leaders of the nation, the Laurel House had been empty and unused for several years before its new owners took over last year.
The new cocktail lounge on the lower level, just above the spectacular Kaaterskill Falls, is another innovation, complete with new bar and snack bar. A feature of the latter attraction is a bright and shining pizza oven, which is probably the only one of its kind in this area.
Back to the Laurel House page