THE illustration taken from an original drawing is of. the
New York & Erie Railroad's Number 210. It was built by the
New Jersey Locomotive & Machine Company in April, 1855.
These works were founded about 1845 as Swinburne, Smith &
Co. and later John Brandt became superintendent of the firm. Zerah
Colburn, another shining light in the industry, was mechanical
engineer for several years. The engines built by the company were
known as "Brandt engines" from the practice of calling
locomotives after Baldwin, Wilmarth, Rogers, Hinkley, or whoever
happened to be the particular firm's leading spirit.
The Number 210 is an interesting example of Erie motive power.
Note such details as the unusual headlight bracket and pilot,
as well as the extended runboard and handrail.
Cylinders 17 by 24 inches Drivers 60 inches in diameter
Total weight 67,900 pounds (40,050 pounds on the drivers)
ERIE Page | Stories Page
| Contents Page