Home  

EXPRESS LOCOMOTIVE FOR THE CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCEY R.R.
Engineering News—Dec., 1895

One of the notable departures from the ordinary types of express engines is that known as, the "Columbia" type, which has four driving wheels (of which the rear pair are the main drivers), a two-wheel, or pony, leading truck, and a single, pair of trailing wheels, which have 4-in. extra play. This type of engine was first designed in 1891 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works to meet the special requirements of the Philadelphia & Reading R. R., as shown in our issue of Nov. 21, 1891. These engines had the Wootten type of firebox, and one of them, illustrated in our issue of June 15, 1893, was exhibited at the Columbian Exhibition. All of these engines were Vauclain four-cylinder compounds, and have given most excellent results in service. There was also exhibited at the Columbian Exhibition a locomotive of similar type, but with a narrower firebox, designed to burn bituminous coal, and this engine, which attracted much attention, was named the "Columbia," from which the name of this type of engine has been derived. This engine has, since the close of the exhibition, been run on several different roads, and has given very excellent results.

A similar engine to the "Columbia," but single, expansion instead of compound, has recently been built for the Chicago, Burliugton & Quincy R. R. by order of Mr. O. W. Rhodes, Superintendent of Motive Power. This engine is shown on our inset sheet this week, and we are indebted to the Baldwin Locomotive Works for drawings and specifications from which this article is prepared. The engine has a very handsome appearance, and among its -striking features may be noted the arrangement of wheels on both engine and tender and the use of piston-valves on a simple engine, while the size of the driving wheels—7 ft.—is unusual for Western roads. The general dimensions and particulars of the engine are as follows:

The frames are of steel, and are dropped at the rear end to carry a deep firebox over the small trailing wheels. The boiler is made of 11-16-in. steel flange plates, having all the longitudinal seams butt jointed, with double covering strips calked inside and outside. The throat sheet is 8 in. thicker than shell plates, to prevent undue thinning where it is flanged. The waist is 58w ins. diameter at the smokebox end, with a straight top, and having a dome ring of pressed steel 1 in, thick. The firebox is of steel, and has a combustion chamber 3 ft. long, in which is a firebrick arch. The 18-in. radial stays of the crown are screwed through the crown sheet and riveted over, and all solid staybolts and stays have drilled ends. The firebox is designed for burning soft coal, and has a grate of the rocking and drop pattern, while the ashpan has front damper slides in the bottom. The tubes are of iron, No. 11 B. W. G., with copper ferules on the swaged ends in the firebox tube sheet. The smokebox has an extension front, with wire netting, deflecting plate and spark hopper, and a, straight smokestack is used. The feed is supplied by two Sellers injectors. The cylinders are lagged with wood and eased with iron, and the cylinder-head covers are of hydraulic forged steel, polished and filled with asbestos. The boiler is lagged with asbestos cement, and jacketed with cold-rolled pickled steel (painted), with steel bands. The fittings include two Richardson sealed safety valves, the teach sanding apparatus and the West bellringer. The Jerome metallic packing is used on piston-rods and valve stems.

The cylinders have piston slide valves fitted in the saddles, as shown, an arrangement which is rather novel in simple engines, although it has been tried recently in England, and the design is very similar to that used in the Baldwin four-cylinder compound engines. It will be seen by the list of dimensions that these valves give a great port area. The pistons are of cast iron, with piston rods of open-hearth steel fitted to the cast steel crossheads, which have brass bearings. The cylinders and air pump are lubricated by Nathan automatic sight-feed lubricators placed in the cab. The connecting and side rods are of open-hearth steel, all of I-section, and the side rods have solid ends with heavy brass bushings put in by hydraulic pressure. The driving-boxes are of steeled cast iron, with brass, bearings.

The wheels have cast steel centers, those of the driving, wheels being 6 ft. 6 ins. diameter, and the tires are secured by shrinkage and retaining rings. The driving-wheel tires are of cast steel, 38ins. thick and 52 ins. wide, both pairs being flanged. The Westinghouse-American outside equalized brake is fitted to the driving, trailing and tender wheels, and is operated in connection with the Westinghouse train brake, a 92-in. brake-pump being used. The train air-signal is also fitted.

A special feature of this engine is the six-wheel tender, with plate frames, this having been adopted by the C., B. & Q. R. R. as an experiment to ascertain whether there is any advantage in European practice in this respect. The three-cylinder mogul engines of the Erie & Wyoming Valley R. R. (Eng. News, Feb. 7, 1895), as well as, one or two of the Pennsylvania R. R. express engines, have six-wheel tenders. On the other hand, some of the English papers and engineers are advocating the use of the American tender on two four-wheel trucks for the heavy express engines hauling heavy trains long distances.

This tender has a tank of 4,000 gallons capacity, with 4 plates for top, inside and bottom, and 3-16-in. plates for the outside, put together with 7-16-in. rivets. The tank is of U or horseshoe shape, with an inclined floor for the coal space, and rests upon a steel frame. The wheels have wrought iron centers and steel tires, and the axles have outside journals, the boxes working in pedestals. A railing extends beyond the tank to protect the footplate, and there is a cab over the tender deck.


Contents Page | Build a Locomotive

Home
Do you have any information you'd like to share on this subject? Please email me!
The Catskill Archive website and all contents, unless otherwise specified,
are 1996-2010 Timothy J. Mallery