Pacific built the 236 at its shops in 1882 for commuter
service out of Oakland. The engine was classified as a tank engine
because the water was carried in rectangular tanks running astride
the boiler, above the wheels. The fuel was carried in the hopper
behind the cab and thus no tender was required. A sister of the
236 is presently exhibited in a park in Oakland, California.
(Recent Locomotives, Fig. 81)
Make 'Em | Contents Page